I cannot believe that school started back this week in the Memphis area. Does anyone else feel like this summer just flew by?! Now we’re in that weird transitional period where we kind of have fall on our minds, yet it’s still summer and hot and humid in most parts of the world. So what do you wear this time of year? And what do you do this time of year to entertain your little ones? I’m teaming up with JCPenney today to share my favorite back to school trends to wear right now and the perfect after school activities you can do indoors to stay cool!
1. Have a scavenger hunt with a different item in each room of your house. Put down toilet paper, shoes, the vacuum cleaner. Bonus, your child will help learn what everything is called and also where all the standard household items are stored (perfect for helping with chores one day.) = )
2. Volunteer with your child. Sing at the nursing home, help serve lunch at your local shelter, or even pick up and recycle coke cans. I used to do the latter with my grandpa growing up, and I still have such fond memories of it. I loved helping, spending time with him and collecting my pennies. = )
3. Go see a drive-in movie together. This is something we have been dying to do with LC for a while. All the drive-ins are about an hour from our house, but we hope to make it out there soon! I think she would just love it and would actually sit still.
4. Go roller skating (or bowling for really young ones.) We bought Leighton these adjustable little skates, and she absolutely loves it. We are planning on taking her bowling soon too.
5. Go to the library together to pick out some books. I am always picking out books for her myself, but I think checking out some at the library would be even more interesting, and there is such a huge number of them to choose from too. Bonus if they have a story time as part of your local library’s after school activities.
6. Find your old VHS tapes of you as a child and watch them together. I’ve been hounding my dad lately to find some of ours. I think Leighton will think it is so cool to watch her parents as children.
7. Finger paint. Leighton loves to draw and paint. We usually just use large foam board and let her go crazy.
8. Play dressup together! Leighton is going through a princess phase (I don’t blame her lol!), so I have been letting her pick out an entire outfit and even try on my shoes. She thinks it is so fun.
9. Make an obstacle course together. Use chairs, blankets, a tent, whatever you have. This used to be one of my favorite after school activities as a child. Let them really use their imagination!
10. Cave in and realize they’re only kids for so long, and then take them to your local cookie, cake or yogurt shop. = ) We don’t do this often, but I do want to treat her sometimes too. We only live once.
Some of my favorite trends for this year have been chambray, suede (year-round!) and color (even pastels in the fall and winter.) I love that JCPenney
has all these trends. and the best thing is that they are a one stop shop for all the great trends for the entire family…at a great price too. With a toddler, I am all about shopping at one store where I can pick up something for everyone without having to go to multiple stores. What are your favorite after school activities to do with your child? Have you done all your back to school shopping yet? Have you checked out JCPenney
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
25 thoughts on “10 After School Activities to Do Indoors with Your Child”
Aww this looks so fun! I totally remember doing some of these things with my mom when I was little! Also your daughters outfit is so adorable:)
This is such a fun post! Great ideas here!
So many great ideas! Cute photos!
Love those jeans Laura! So true about the VHS tapes, my mom transferred all of mine to a DVD a few years back and I love being able to hear and see my grandparents now that they're gone.
Love these ideas! I haven't gone to a drive-in movie or roller skating in far too long.
Straight A Style
So many great ideas! Reminds me of when I had to watch my sisters when they were little!
Great post! Love you're outfits!
My mom would always take us to the library and it made picking out a new book and reading so fun!
Another one I need to pin for the future.
xo Laura Leigh
These are all such great idea of things to do with your little! I want to do some of these!
April | http://www.thebluehydrangeas.com
These are such great ideas! So cute!
These are really great ideas! Would definitely share these to my mom-friends. You guys look so cute by the way.
Jessica | notjessfashion.com
Love all of these! So many fun activity ideas, I'll have to try them.
This is such a great list!! I will be referring to it (:
I cannot handle the cuteness of those pink sneakers – I want some for myself!
We love heading to the library on days off and the scavenger hunt idea is so cute!
Can I have her hair please?!
What a great list too! Pinning for someday!
This is too cute! I love your ideas especially the one about volunteering!!
these are all such great ideas! And of course your outfits are darling!
loving these ideas and these are the CUTEST pics!!
Sandy a la Mode
I love all of these ideas, especially a drive in movie! So fun
Love these ideas, Laura! Especially the library!! Perfect list for littles 🙂
XOXO, Cassie Rea
These are such cute ideas! You are such a great mama!
Beautiful!!!! I love all of these great tips!!